Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ot - Not Political - Economic Meltdown

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:30:50 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

Whats a rutabaga? - is it edible - is it similar to Brussel Sprouts
(which are not)

I *love* Brussels sprouts. A rutabaga, also known as a yellow turnip, is a
cross between a cabbage and a regular ("white," or "purple-top") turnip. I
know that sounds like crossing a dog and a cat, but that's what the books
say. They're pretty decent root vegetables. They used to be popular in
Germany but they got sick of them when that was all they had to eat, so
they
don't eat them anymore. They aren't all that popular here anymore, either,
but they're a traditional root vegetable in New England. I'm from a New
England family and we use them in pot roast. They also have a funny name
so
they're good for food jokes.

It's swede.

Not in the US. I understand they call them swedes in the UK, right? What we
call a swede is a sweet potato.

Can be eaten raw, boiled, mashed, roasted. It's the vital ingredient that
gives pasties their taste in Devon.

Not to be confused with kohlrabi. Which is another delightful vegetable.

I'm so glad that the cuisine in the UK has improved markedly since I was a
student there. I lost five pounds in two weeks, and I would eat anything in
those days. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress