Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
P D Fritz P D Fritz is offline

Default Wire rope Q

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
news |
| "Up North" wrote: I used to weld the old cable to the new when I was
| replacing the cables on
| masonry block boom trucks. I would first weld a knob on the end of each
| cable then weld the two ends together. Using the old cable to pull the
new
| one through, I then used a cutoff wheel on a 4" grinder and cut the old
| cable off. It worked a lot better that brazing them together and I never
| had one break during the threading of the new cable.
| Steve
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Okay, Steve, I concede. The technique you describe sounds like it would
| work. Is that the way you did it, PD Fritz? I apologize for being so
| skeptical. My mind was stuck on the idea that the individual strands had
| be joined.

No apology required.
Sure, it does sound basically similar. The cables I'm talking about though
are 1 7/16 inch in diameter with each single strand approximately around
1/10". The "pigtail cable" that is about 3/4" in diameter and 2 feet long is
connected(welded) in between the new cable and the old cable to allow
maximum flexibility and maneuverability during its passage through the
various pulleys and fairlead sheaves in the system. Sometimes, even chain
links are used as a pigtail instead of a cable. I prefer the chain link
method myself.