Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Computer power supply uses (NOT home repair topic)

On Sep 10, 2:52*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
In the days of old, I used to use a mobile CB, which
sat on a (designed for it) power supply. The CB was
12 volts DC, and the power supply rectified the house
power, to provide DC for the two way radio. And the
antenna was on the roof.

An old computer power supply with 12 volt output.
Wonder if that would drive a CB mobile, or a CB
walkie? Makes me wonder if I could wire a lighter
socket to an old computer power supply and have a
couple amps of 12 volt DC?

Anyone know how much 12 volt DC a power supply
provides? On a survival note, maybe a 12 volt tap off
computer power supply could charge up a car battery,
or be emergency communications.

I'm Christopher Young

Yes. Done it. There is also info on the web about modifying switching
power supplies SPS.
We modified such an SPS so that local radio amateur could operate his
12 volt ham rig on AC supply. The one we chose gave some 20 amps at 12
volts IIRC. (That's 240 watts).
It is usually found that you have to put a small load on the +5 volt
DC put for the y thing to operate at all. So we loaded it with a wire
wound resistor mounted on the case that consumed about 2.5 amps,
that's 12.5 watts.
Something of a year later he says it's working fine.
Be careful inside there can be 350 volts at something up to 20 or more
kilohertz.