Posted to alt.radio.digital,sci.electronics.repair,uk.people.consumers,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default new DAB pocket radio story

I've noticed that say, if you change areas you can lose presets on many dab
radios. Its a difficult one, as they are not really lying about it, they are
just not saying the software has a drawback if you rescan you have to re
store the presets.

I was thinking when you first said it was a pocket model that there have
been poor reception problems with dab. Most people are familiar with the
boiling mud effect you can get if signal is low, but some sets do rescan if
they get very low signals that this can confuse the heck out of users.

Dab is a bit of a flop for quality and coverage in my view.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"john d hamilton" wrote in message
A week ago I bought a Phillips pocket DAB radio DA1103/05, £39 from a
Comet store in London. It seemed quite good to me, and is small and neat,
but everytime I did a 'local' scan of the stations; it *wiped off* all the
stations that I had previously *preset*. I quite often need to do a scan
since the reception quality is very different between the front and the
rear of my house.

I took it back to Comet, the girl there became very 'fish' faced, but gave
me another one. I said i would like to test it and she said you cannot
pick up any stations in this store. So I went to the next door shop where
I could sit down, and found that this replacement set had exactly the same
problem.

I took it back and she then tried to set up the presets herself, at the
counter in the store where we were before. ( Making a lie of what she said
about not having reception in the store). But she didn't know how to do it
and declined my offer of showing her how to. Any way even more fish faced,
she then gave me a refund for the £39.

I later rang Phillips technical help and they said they had not
encountered this particular problem with this radio and would ring me
back. They didn't, so I rang them again, but I got the distinct
impression that they really were not that interested in any of this, and
got no further ahead.

Thinking I would buy another one, I rang the nearest John Lewis Store; but
it looks like although they do sell Phillips radios they do not sell this
'particular' pocket model. The model is DA1103/5 and the software version
on it is: V.1.3.2. I think it might be a very 'recent' version since it
offers 30 presets as opposed to the generally advertised 20 presets
available.

Since John Lewis said they could not even 'order' me one of these radios,
i'm wondering if they have been having trouble with them?

So my quandry now is whether to try to locate another one, or switch to
another pocket DAB radio? Is there another pocket radio that people would
recommend; or should I best pursue another one of these Phillips?
Thanks for any advice.