Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DTV Boondoggle

On Oct 11, 7:45*am, (Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote:
Jim Yanik writes:
(Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote in
:

OK, so I'm one of the 6 people in the Universe who don't have cable,
satellite, or fiber-optic TV.

count me in too.
apartment,2nd floor,stucco with metal mesh uunderneath,almost like a
Faraday cage.I lose channels when the upstairs neighbor moves around.

I use an old Gemini amplified rabbit ears with UHF disc antenna.Lost Ch..2
NBC completely(no great loss),but gained PBS Ch.15 out of Daytona Beach(55
miles away),a great benefit.

With analog reception, the picture remains viewable even with a weak
signal, with increasing snow, but nonetheless, usable. *The sound
would survive even lower signal levels.

A set of rabbit ears and loop antenna sufficed.

Now, as expected, with DTV, it's either there or it isn't, and even
with the built-in signal strength display on DTVs and converter boxes,
it has become a royal pain to tune in many channels.

The assumption today is that one will use a wired connection so DTVs
usually don't even come with any sort of indoor antenna.

Now, this could probably start a lively discussion on the politics and
economics of the DTV conversion and that's just fine.

But, what I would like input on is what sort of indoor antennas might
be best to use in what is basically an area which should have decent
signal strength for the channels I care about.

So far I've tried using old loop antennas and basic indoor antennas
(loop+ rabbit ears) from Radio Shack, both unamplified and amplified
(though I'm not convinced the latter was even working properly).

This is a residential location with no high structures nearby. *I
believe most of the transmitters are only a few miles away.

For a 10 year old TV with a converter box in one location, a simple
loop antenna seems to be fine. *For a similar setup on the floor
below, reception is terrible on nearly all channels no matter how the
antenna is oriented.

For a new HDTV at the other end of the house, nothing I've tried seems
to work very well, with some channels requiring very careful fiddling
with the antenna orientation to be acceptable most of the time.
Reception on analog channels is fine and I believe the TV is working
correctly.

According tohttp://www.antennaweb.org/, for most of the channels I
care about, a "small multidirectional antenna" should suffice.
I haven't yet tried an antenna like and would hoping for
recommendataions, or whether it would even work.

I realize this is insufficient information for anyone to suggest a
specific remedy other than "get a wired connection", but figured it
might be worthwhile to hear about others' experiences so far.

Thanks!

Google shows some homebrewed non-amplified antennas that might be
interesting,BUT,they might not be accepted by the SWMBO,not "fit in with
the decor" type problem.

Are you in a place where you can put in an outdoor antenna?
Preferably high up... (UHF antennas are pretty small and 'tolerable')
or put it in the attic.
then use a distribution amp and feed it to all your TVs.

Sure, but this entire DTV thing was supposed to be a step forward, not
back to the days where people had to have outdoor antennas!

I guess it is a step forward for the manufacturers of DTVs, antennas,
and other video equipment, and cable, fiber, and satellite content
providers!

--
* * sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
*Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/

subject line. *Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs..- Hide quoted text -

Sam:

It might help us if we knew approximately where you live, and the
directions/distances of the signals you are trying to pick up. A good
antenna in the attic with a distribution amplifier as suggested
earlier should work pretty well, especially if the antenna can point
out the gable end of the roof, and you do not have aluminum siding.
Getting a signal thru regular roofing shingles works ok when the roof
is dry, but there is a lot af attenuation when the roof gets wet or
snow-covered as it does here in IL where I live.

Bob Hofmann