Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18605 Ignoramus18605 is offline

Default The bright side of the stockmarket collapse

On 2008-10-11, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:
Iggy. That's really what's going on now with our current social
security system. It's a Ponzi scheme with an IOU from the government,
and with our aging population, you and I are going to be left holding
the bag.

That's what Wall Street, Bush and McCain wanted you to believe in
order to allow Wall Street to play with your social security money.

There are some differences between Social Security and a Ponzi scheme
(check out Wikipedia's article on Ponzi scheme).

1) Ponzi schemes are voluntary and thus are subject to eventual
investor flight. Social security is not voluntary and is funded by
mandatory payments.

2) Ponzi schemes make promises that are very unrealistic

3) The majority of money in Ponzi schemes is stolen.

4) It is very easy to keep Social Security solvent, which is to lower
benefits or raise retirement age.

Further off topic. One of the comments I heard growing up was that
Roosevelt didn't get us out of the depression, World War II did. With
the current lack of a response to interventions our by government,
it's adding some credence to that allegation. I'm not implying that
we need a war to get us out of this. It's just an interesting
observation.

We already have two wars going on, and they are not helping matters
very much.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/