Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default using old wood

aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:

- sometimes it's harder to work owing to being much harder than new
lumber (fir or SYP are particularly noticeable in that regard). Again
that really goes back to point (1) of taking more time/effort (but
probably having better material).

I've taken 16- to 20-ft 2x6, -8, -10, -12's out of places that were
essentially knot-free. Imagine the cost of one of even one of them
suckers today _if_ you could even find it!!!

--

I'll add an 'AMEN' from the peanut gallery to the above. When I was a
wee lad, we used clear redwood for gutter boards and outside window

In Campbell County, VA in the late '60s they salvaged an old school
house and were selling off the various beams, joists, flooring, etc,
etc., ...

I was inspecting a pile of from 3x to 5x beams from 12 to 16" deep and
16 to 20 ft long. It looked suspiciously dark and a little
surreptitious slivers w/ the pocketknife revealed what I
suspected--black walnut. I took it all for $1500 (a king's ransom then
for a newly graduated fella' w/ new kid and house) and ended up w/
something on the order of 5000 bd-ft of what virtually all graded 1C or
better walnut...