Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default OT- Tough Drain Snaking?

On Oct 10, 4:04*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
I've had a couple of problems with clogged drains and so far haven't done
much good snaking. *I bought a cheap hand crank snake, it goes in a ways,
stops and I seem to make absolutely no progress. *A friend suggested a drill
powered snake, goes in a ways, stops, twisted up like a pretzel inside the
pipe.

So I'm wondering if I have super tough clogs, or if it's just the cheap
Wal-Mart and hardware store snakes I'm buying? *Tonight I bought a drill
powered snake that's inside a piece of tubing. *So far I like it, the tubing
keeps the snake from twisting up inside the pipe easily but I still haven't
been able to clear the drain. *It goes in maybe 4ft and I can't seem to get
it to go any further.

The drains I'm having trouble is the bathtub and the bathroom sink. *The
sink has been clogged over a year, we quit using it. *Recently the tub
clogged, we don't think it's a good idea to quit taking baths :-)
Unfortunately the crawl space is very difficult for me to access, I would
have to hire a skinny guy and the opening is on the other side of the house,
extremely inconvenient.

Is there a recommended brand and size of snake for 1-1/4 drains?

Thanks!

RogerN

You might be bumping into the down pipe not the clog and just not
making it around the bend. I'd try going down the vent if possible as
others have said.
Karl