Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Filling a swimming pool

As others have stated, it depends on the costs in your area. A cubic foot of
water contains 7.48 galons, and weighs 62.5 pounds, if memory serves. You
can calculate the fill for the pool that way. How many cubic feet?

One thing not to do, ask the fire department to fill the pool. Many water
mains have a bunch of rust in them. The sudden rush of water stirs up the
rust, and turns the pool brown. Not good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
From time to time I have to refill my swimming pool due to
evaporation.

Sometimes when I know a big storm is coming I will open the drain and
let it drain an additional 8" and I will fill it back up to the proper
level after the storm passes.

I have always used the garden hose to do that and just turn on the
water.

I also have a well pump that is hooked up to the sprinkler system. On
the well pump is a spigot, I never used it, but I could connect the
garden hose to it, turn the valve off to the sprinkler line and use
the well water to fill the pool.

I will save on the water bill...but I will pay more for the electric
consumption to run the pool. I am not sure which one yields more cost
savings.

My pool is 25000 gallons. It's depth varies from 3 to 9 feet so I
would assume an average depth of 6 feet, so on average, to fill one
inch of my pool is around 350 gallons. To fill 10 inches is 3500
gallons.

I don't know if it matters, just more or less curious. I guess my
well water would also be harder with more minerals.

MC