Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC/Heating Checkups

3,000 PSI power washer with zero degree tip? Those do damage.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

We always recommend cleaning a straight AC condensing unit
(the outside part) once a year. A heat pump, twice a year.
We always admonish the homeowner to make sure that the AC
is turned off whenever the grass is being cut anywhere near
the outside unit. Why? The condensing unit will suck up all
the dust and grass clippings in the air around it. The dirt
will clog up the fins and cause the compressor to overheat
which will damage it. Trane produces some fine equipment
and yours may be equipped with high and low pressure cutout
switches which will protect a unit from overheating due to
the fins being clogged and damaged caused by a loss of freon.
I've seen too many condensing units damaged by a homeowner
who decided to clean the AC with the water hose nozzle set
to KILL. This will bend and flatten the aluminum fins which
will block the airflow and cause overheating. If you can find
a good service company in your area, talk to them about a
service contract where they will come out at least once a year
to clean and inspect your HVAC system.

TDD