Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default OT- Tough Drain Snaking?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:04:51 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

I've had a couple of problems with clogged drains and so far haven't done
much good snaking. I bought a cheap hand crank snake, it goes in a ways,
stops and I seem to make absolutely no progress. A friend suggested a drill
powered snake, goes in a ways, stops, twisted up like a pretzel inside the
pipe.

So I'm wondering if I have super tough clogs, or if it's just the cheap
Wal-Mart and hardware store snakes I'm buying? Tonight I bought a drill
powered snake that's inside a piece of tubing. So far I like it, the tubing
keeps the snake from twisting up inside the pipe easily but I still haven't
been able to clear the drain. It goes in maybe 4ft and I can't seem to get
it to go any further.

The drains I'm having trouble is the bathtub and the bathroom sink. The
sink has been clogged over a year, we quit using it. Recently the tub
clogged, we don't think it's a good idea to quit taking baths :-)
Unfortunately the crawl space is very difficult for me to access, I would
have to hire a skinny guy and the opening is on the other side of the house,
extremely inconvenient.

Is there a recommended brand and size of snake for 1-1/4 drains?

The drill ones are practically worthless, too hard to control. And
hand snakes are almost useless unless the clog is within 2 feet or so,
and they never are. I got the 50' powered one from Harbor Freight and
it works fine for small problems - for main lines go rent the
full-size 100' power snake.

You Have To Be Careful And Gentle When Using A Power Snake!!

Especially if you have ABS Plastic drain lines, the snake can easily
break through the side of the pipes at elbows rather than go around
them. Same thing with very old cast iron drain lines, if they've
gotten thin from age the snake can finish them off. Ease it in an
inch or two at a time, and let the spade cutter on the end clean off
the garbage and work it's way around corners.

Don't use the razor cutter head (looks like a U) inside a house,
that one is main lines only.

And I'm told that power snakes can easily destroy vitrified clay
tile main lines from whipping, but if you gotta get it open you gotta
get it open. And the cracks usually get started from tree roots that
can exert lots of force as the grow their way in, if anything you are
only finishing off the damage that the roots started

Again, be gentle and let the cutter set it's own pace and do it's
work an inch or two at a time. When you clear the main clog you'll
hear the big whoosh/gurgle as the line empties out.

-- Bruce --