Posted to alt.home.repair
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Computer power supply uses (NOT home repair topic)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:38:21 -0500, "jim evans"
wrote:

On 9/10/2008 11:52:13 AM, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

An old computer power supply with 12 volt output.
Wonder if that would drive a CB mobile, or a CB
walkie? Makes me wonder if I could wire a lighter
socket to an old computer power supply and have a
couple amps of 12 volt DC?

I don't see why not. Twelve volts it twelve volts. I wouldn't think a CB
radio would require any super regulation and computer power supplies are
pretty clean.

Anyone know how much 12 volt DC a power supply provides?

They usually have a label on them giving their output. Here's an example
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/power-supply3.jpg

But, even a super cheap one should be plenty to run a CB radio.

Just remember, you need a resistive load on the 12 volt line before
you get ANY output on most supplies.

The 250 watt AT supply I have sitting on the bench puts out 11 amps
on the +12 side.