Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Daun Bob Daun is offline

Default Reeves Drive Question

Mac
My Jet 1442 takes a 3/8 inch belt for the Reeves drive. Can you give me a
source for 3/8" link belts.

Bob
"mac davis" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:08:47 -0400, "John Gbur" wrote:

I have a question about an older lathe with a Reeves Drive (J-Line). This
is an older lathe that has not seen use for some time. The manual says
not
to shift it without the motor running. If you take the belts off is it
okay
to shift it then? I want to get the Reeves drive shifting smoothly before
putting it under power. I am guessing they say not to shift while not
under
power due to the load put on it by shifting it. Thanks!

Everyone else covered the cleaning, etc., just wanted to mention that it's
ok to
change the speed when the lathe isn't running, if you do it GENTLY while
turning
the spindle or pulley by hand..

Also, if you do take the belt off, unless it's brand new (unlikely)
consider
changing to a link belt... Quieter, less vibration and a LOT easier to
change..
YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing