Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Wire rope Q

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:05:57 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Up North" wrote: I used to weld the old cable to the new when I was
replacing the cables on
masonry block boom trucks. I would first weld a knob on the end of each
cable then weld the two ends together. Using the old cable to pull the new
one through, I then used a cutoff wheel on a 4" grinder and cut the old
cable off. It worked a lot better that brazing them together and I never
had one break during the threading of the new cable.
Steve

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Okay, Steve, I concede. The technique you describe sounds like it would
work. Is that the way you did it, PD Fritz? I apologize for being so
skeptical. My mind was stuck on the idea that the individual strands had to
be joined.

It threw me for a minute, too. The trick on this weld job is that
it doesn't have to be strong or flexible, since it isn't in normal
service. It only has to hold the two ends together long enough to
pull the old cable out and the new cable into the sheave system. Then
the weld and the old cable gets cut off, and the new cable gets
properly terminated in place.

When you think about it, that makes perfect sense.

-- Bruce --