Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default furnace blows cold air on summer, but does not blow on winter

On Oct 10, 3:30*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"mystique" wrote in message

My furnace keeps lighting the burners while the blower switch is on
winter, but the blower never turns on. When I switch the blower to
summer, the blower turns on and stays on, but the burners never
ignite; so the furnace just blows cold air into the room. I've been
reading about thermocouples, but it seems that is not the problem,
because the burners actually kick on, just not the blower. The switch
doesn't seem defective, because it has different settings when I
switch it from summer to winter to off. I know the blower works,
because it blows constantly when I put it on summer. I know the
burners work because they are almost constantly on when the blower is
on winter. It seems to me that I have all the parts of a working
furnace, they just don't know how to play nice ; - (

Concerning the thermostat: I had the same problems with the thermostat
connected, but I took the wires out and twisted them together to try
to get the thing to work this morning.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

No, you still have one part not working. *That is the thermostat that senses
the heat and turns the blower on. *If you have no idea about it, call a
service tech. *Tell them the problem and they may * bring the part with
them. *Simple fix.- Hide quoted text -

That is the thermostat that senses the heat and turns the blower
on.

Are you saying that the thermostat in my living room monitors the heat
exchanger temperature and turns on/off the blower?

I'm not sure how it works with a "modern" furnace, but I can say
without a doubt that my old furnace had a sensor in the plenum that
controlled the blower based on the air temp. You needed the thermostat
to call for heat to turn the burners on, but you also needed heat to
turn the blower on.