Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Up North Up North is offline

Default Wire rope Q

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"P D Fritz" wrote: Really??? Tell that to the Navy Aviation Boatswain's
Mates working on
aircraft carriers who regularly weld cables together whenever it's time
replace the purchase cables of the Arrresting Gear engines. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you sure they are really *welding* the cables, or are you just using
the term to mean "joining." Welding two cables end-to-end would require
fusion of the individual strands. Why would they do something so
difficult when there are easier ways?

I used to weld the old cable to the new when I was replacing the cables on
masonry block boom trucks. I would first weld a knob on the end of each
cable then weld the two ends together. Using the old cable to pull the new
one through, I then used a cutoff wheel on a 4" grinder and cut the old
cable off. It worked a lot better that brazing them together and I never had
one break during the threading of the new cable.
Steve