Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Why Insulation in Inside Wall?

wrote in :

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:15:35 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

On Oct 8, 7:17*pm, Red Green wrote:
jim evans wrote
:

I'm about to hang one of the LED big screen TVs on my wall. *To
tidy it up I decided to run the cables through the wall. *When I
cut a hole in the wall I discovered it was filled with insulation.
*It's an inside wall. *The master bath is on the other side of the
wall. *Why is an inside wall insulated?

As mentioned repeatedly, noise reduction.

Can't remember the source so I don't know how effective but I
read/heard something a couple of decades ago that like where you
have a drain pipe coming through an interior wall from upper floor,
putting empty egg cartons all around it before closing kills the
noise. The material + the shape of the egg slots was they key.

Insulation probably works just as well and probably better.

Thats an old wive's tale. Egg cartons have absolutely no acoustic
reduction properties, and are a fire hazard. Iron down stacks are
still the best way to stop drain noise, or double sheething the wall.
Mass stops sound.

Egg cartons were often used in recording studios in the 1950's. The
walls would get covered with them to kill echos without making the
room completely "dead"

Thats an old wive's tale.

Egg cartons were often used in recording studios in the 1950's.

Guess a bunch of old wive's were running the studio! :-)