Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default using old wood

George wrote in
:

I'm doing some structural work on an old addition. A fair amount of
the wood I take off is in decent shape. (No water damage, in
particular.) It's T&G sheathing, 2x6's, and (especially) clapboards.
It all seems to nail OK.

It would be nice to just re-use this stuff, where I can. Is there an
informed opinion on doing this?

Thanks,
George

I reuse wood in good shape all the time. Occasionally done some dumpster
diving in the past for brand new wood.

I lived in VT for many years. If you have an old building to demo,
especially barns, you put an ad someplace. It will be stripped to the
foundation for free by people who want wood, people who want wood that
can't be got any more (full 1" & better flooring planks, 8x8 & 12x12
long timbers, etc) and people who want anything they can haul. Last fall
a recycle org totally disassembled an old town building to the
foundation and even swept up and raked.