Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Reeves Drive Question

On Oct 9, 10:08*am, "John Gbur" wrote:
I have a question about an older lathe with a Reeves Drive (J-Line). *This
is an older lathe that has not seen use for some time. *The manual says not
to shift it without the motor running. *If you take the belts off is it okay
to shift it then? *I want to get the Reeves drive shifting smoothly before
putting it under power. *I am guessing they say not to shift while not under
power due to the load put on it by shifting it. *Thanks!

John here's a link to a write-up by Darrell Feltmate, on changing/
cleaning and general maintenance on the reaves drive, HTH

http://aroundthewoods.com/lathemaintenance.html