Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Wooding Gary Wooding is offline

Default Cataract Surgery

wrote:

Any suggestins for the implant? Implant for distance and do reading
glasses, or stay nearsighted and do distance lenses? My first impulse
is to go for distance since I would still need safety glasses for most
of what I do.

Of course the glasses will come from Zenni 8

I've had both eyes done; the left one just a year ago and the right one
in March. I had extreme long sight before the surgery and needed glasses
for everything: varifocals for normal use (driving, reading, walking,
etc), and special high-power ones for close-up work (I make jewellery).
I used contacts for sports and tried both types of multi-focal in a vain
effort not to wear glasses. I couldn't get on with either type: the
contrast with the refraction/diffraction type was too low, and the
toroidal type was just bad - for me. There was no way I could make
jewellery with them

I wasn't given the option of multi-focal implants, but would not have
chosen it after my experience with the contacts. I chose the 20-20
distance option on the implants and haven't regretted it. I don't have
to use contacts for sport but got so tired of putting on glasses for
reading that I've reverted to varifocal glasses for normal use (the
distance prescription is about zero); they are photo-chromatic so double
up as sunglasses too. I still use my special glasses for close-up work
and they work even better than they did before.

Just my experiences.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding