Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default AC/Heating Checkups

Dottie wrote:
My new Trane will be a year old next month and is running fine. I did
not take the extended warranty which would have required me to have
the dealer come out once a year and check fluid levels. My question
is: Is it necessary to do this? I mean, if the a/c stops cooling I
know to call them ... but can lack of a certain level of freon or
whatever the new ones use now, cause damage? I want to take care of
it but not waste money. Thanks.

There's really not much that can go wrong with an AC unit and the things
that can go wrong won't be helped by "maintenance." That is, there is no
maintenance that can be done on a compressor, relay, or fan motor. When they
fail, you replace them.

If the unit quits cooling, have a repairman find the leak, fix it, and add
coolant. That's really all than can be done.

There ARE two things that fall into the maintenance regime, and both of
those you can do yourself.

The filters need changing at regular intervals and the outside coil needs
periodic cleaning.