Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Why Insulation in Inside Wall?

jim evans wrote:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:59:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

What about the other suggestion of using smaller diameter/stiffer object
to probe? What was result of that experiment.

I haven't come up with anything like that to try yet. A clothes
hanger just bends and isn't long enough anyway. The fish tape at the
nearby hardware is $45 and I'd rather not spring for that much for
this one-time job.

If, as Mike says, you're hitting blocking, your choice is give up or cut
an access hole to drill through it.

The studfinder shows no blocking.

Is it just fiberglass batts or something more dense?

Faced fiberglass bats

If it's normal kraft faced batts, you should be able to push your snake
up between the insulation's kraft paper face and the back face of the
drywall. I don't know how big a hole you have down there now, you may
need a hole big enough to get a few fingers in in order to feel and find
the space between the paper and drywall. If the kraft paper is on the
other face (this was an interior wall, right?) a hole the size of a
single gang electrical box should let you get your hand in to get the
snake over to that side. As for other wire to fish with, go to Depot /
Lowe's and get a couple of the long steel hanger wires used for
suspended ceilings.