Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Why Insulation in Inside Wall?

On Oct 9, 4:29*pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Oct 9, 9:15 am, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Oct 8, 6:24 pm, dpb wrote:
jim evans wrote:
I'm about to hang one of the LED big screen TVs on my wall. *To tidy
it up I decided to run the cables through the wall. *When I cut a hole
in the wall I discovered it was filled with insulation. *It's an
inside wall. *The master bath is on the other side of the wall. *Why
is an inside wall insulated?
Minimal amount of noise reduction
--
A lot of noise reduction.
Not really only from fiberglass insulation unless also did something

--

Well, my previous home had ALL of the interior walls insulated, and it
was MUCH quieter than my current home that doesn't have ANY interior

Again, it depends on what was actually done. *As someone else noted,
it's mass and isolation that do sound deadening effectively, and a
simple fiberglass batt doesn't accomplish much of either.

That's not to say one can't do effective sound isolation, but it has to
be more than simply adding 3" pink glass in a tubafor wall to be of much
benefit. *So, your builder apparently knew what were doing and took some
steps.

As noted earlier, that's what I presumed (perhaps erroneously, he's not
come back w/ a real clarification when asked that I've seen so far) OP
had as that's what I ran into most frequently.

--

I bought the home from a guy that was a contractor, so he knew what he
was doing. VERY nice custom built home that I stupidly let my ex-wife