Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default using old wood

George wrote:
I'm doing some structural work on an old addition. A fair amount of the
wood I take off is in decent shape. (No water damage, in particular.)
It's T&G sheathing, 2x6's, and (especially) clapboards. It all seems to
nail OK.

It would be nice to just re-use this stuff, where I can. Is there an
informed opinion on doing this?

I reuse stuff all the time--most older lumber is far better quality
material than new. If surface checking on tuba-x material is excessive,
I'll plane it down to one-by if it isn't going to be hidden.
Structurally, unless it is actually rotted or split up too badly it'll
be as good as or better than new.

Only problems are
- additional time/effort required to clean it up by pulling nails, etc.,
(the primary reason commercial and professionals don't is that added cost)
- related but if it needs finishing again it may take more extensive
prep work owing to filling nail holes and the surface oxidation/existing
finish
- possibly appearance if not hidden but that's cosmetic defect only so
for framing, who cares?
- sometimes it's harder to work owing to being much harder than new
lumber (fir or SYP are particularly noticeable in that regard). Again
that really goes back to point (1) of taking more time/effort (but
probably having better material).

I've taken 16- to 20-ft 2x6, -8, -10, -12's out of places that were
essentially knot-free. Imagine the cost of one of even one of them
suckers today _if_ you could even find it!!!