Posted to rec.woodworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Little OT but involves wood and windows

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:31:45 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry C" wrote in message
Hello,

Not a full woodworking question but this group has a lot of good ideas

I am replacing my 20 year old wooden windows with new construction
windows. Basically the entire existing window comes out, new window goes
in. My issue is that some of the rough openings may need to be about a
1/8 inch bigger on either side. 1/4 total increase. I have used a belt
sander and 60 grit paper for the first one. Took just a few minutes to
do. About 3 hours to clean up afterwards. About two days of silence from
my wife after that.

Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce the cleanup time? I am OK with the
time for the job and the silence part after that.

2 x 6 studs if that matters
to get a smaller window I would have to get custom made or one that is 4"
thinner.

Larry C

Seems the simplest solution would be to do the same thing but work from the
inside of the house with a fan at your back set on Hi.
Or Use a Skil saw to make many relief cuts to the depth you want and then
chisel out the rest.

Sawzall is your friend for this job. Installers around here use them.
You can just cut in as far as you need to and split out with a wide
chisel (can use a skill saw too, but a "nail eater" blade on the
sawzall isn't fussy WHAT gets in the way.