Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
P D Fritz P D Fritz is offline

Default Wire rope Q

"Welding a stranded cable would be virtually impossible."

Really??? Tell that to the Navy Aviation Boatswain's Mates working on
aircraft carriers who regularly weld cables together whenever it's time to
replace the purchase cables of the Arrresting Gear engines. The new
purchase cable end is welded to a smaller cable "pig tail" and the old cable
end and then the old cable is pulled until all of the new cable length has
replaced all of the old ones around the various sheaves and pulleys in the
system. The weld job needs to be precise and strong or else the cable
connection would get stuck somewhere in the system or would break causing
hours and hours worth of corrective actions rendering the aircraft carrier
virtually crippled.