Posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Good Grief

In message
,
writes
On Oct 9, 12:02*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:56:13 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:
The neutraliser is just a ridiculously small, expensive thermal store,
I'll bet you can do it cheaper with a hot water cyclinder and some zone
valves.

2-300ukp from Dunsley.

Not cheap, the trick that the neutraliser performs is to have all the
inlets/outlets at the same static pressure. Not sure if all inlet and all
outlets have to be the same pressure or if just all the members of a set
have to be the same with the other set at a different pressure,

This could be tricky to arrange on a cylinder, adding extra primary
connections isn't that easy on a cylinder as access inside is a tad
restricted. Getting something fabricated might be an option.

I assume there is a limit to how much heat you can transfer using
gravity and a fixed bore/head system.

There probably is but I'd be using 28mm tube for the gravity loop and that
is well capable of shifting a few kW from a wood burner.

If its just for use if the main system fails, an electric immersion
element is an easy low cost option. 3kW is adequate for a hw cylinder.

Yes. Long reach installed.

We already have an open log burning fire in the lounge but from a house
heating POV, with open plan rooms, this is probably neutral: radiant
heat to one room but lots of gas heated air sucked up the chimney.

Retirement/more time in the house plus labour cost only fuel leads to an
ambition to offset at least some of the central heating cost.

We started a related thread some time back with some interesting input
from TNP etc. The Demon news feed has been sickly so I am only just
following up. I have been collecting glossy brochures meanwhile:-)

There appear to be three options (4 if you count the do nothing one)....

1) Install a simple room heater. The available fire opening is in the
middle room of three. Using the on line heating requirement calculator
and allowing a bit for open stairwell, around 10kW is needed. I guess
this would make the middle room uninhabitable!

2) Install a 6kW heater with a modest back boiler giving 3kW to the room
and 3 to offset the gas. Costly to install without saving much gas.

3) Install a heater with a wrap around boiler giving 3kW to the room and
7 to offset the gas. Provided the neutraliser can handle this amount of
gravity heat the only extra is more logs.

regards

NT

--
Tim Lamb