Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Why Insulation in Inside Wall?

jim evans wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:45:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

Start at upper point and go down instead of up and use something stiffer
and smaller diameter (like baling wire size/stiffness) initially.

The reason I'm trying from the bottom is because the hole at the
bottom (near the floor) is concealed by the entertainment center, and
if I can't get the wire through the wall I didn't want to cut a hole
where it will be very visible.

What about the other suggestion of using smaller diameter/stiffer object
to probe? What was result of that experiment. If, as Mike says, you're
hitting blocking, your choice is give up or cut an access hole to drill
through it.

You're not going to fight both the insulation and gravity going upwards
w/ anything that isn't rigid enough to poke through.

Is it just fiberglass batts or something more dense? If the former and
you're willing to sacrifice a large hole where it will eventually be
hidden, a piece of ply a couple inches wide or so and long could
possibly be used to make a channel against the wall by compressing the
insulation. Similar idea could be tried w/ piece of (say) flex copper
tubing...where's there's a will there's a way.

Still it'll be far easier from the top going down unless there's
blocking in the way, of course as noted...