Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Why Insulation in Inside Wall?

On Oct 9, 12:24*pm, RickH wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:15*am, dpb wrote:

Ron wrote:
On Oct 8, 6:24 pm, dpb wrote:
jim evans wrote:
I'm about to hang one of the LED big screen TVs on my wall. *To tidy
it up I decided to run the cables through the wall. *When I cut a hole
in the wall I discovered it was filled with insulation. *It's an
inside wall. *The master bath is on the other side of the wall. *Why
is an inside wall insulated?
Minimal amount of noise reduction

--

A lot of noise reduction.

Not really only from fiberglass insulation unless also did something
about separating studs, etc., ...

--

I agree, you only get minimal noise reduction unless you build a wall
with 2x6 top and bottom plates and 2x4 staggered studs so you have 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------------
| * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * |
| * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * |
* * * * | * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * |

Top down view of staggered 2x4 studs on 2x6 plates, then you insulate
for maximum quietness. *This is a great method for home theatre rooms,
furnace rooms, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Well I can see my ascii art work failed because the text wrapped.

But the idea is to build 2 isolated 16 inch OC stud walls on 2x6
plates with 2x4's, offsetting the studs by 8 inches. Sound will not
transmit easily because one sheet cannot vibrate the opposite sheet
because there are no common studs that hang both sheets.