Posted to alt.home.repair
old windows blow old windows blow is offline

Default Older metal windows won't close

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Kompu Kid
wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:23*am, old windows blow wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 07:33:33 -0700 (PDT), Kompu Kid

wrote:
Hello All:

Windows at my nephew's home won't close unless one pushes it with
substantial force from outside. I looked into it a bit. I first
thought it was paint buildup, but ruled this out after cleaning the
buildup did not help.

I have photos of the windows at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.spaces.l...EB85DE77506BA8...

I think the windows are slightly warped over time --this is a 60-year-
old home. I am thinking that if he can replace the pins in hinges (one
of the hinges is marked with "B") with a smaller diameter one, the
"A" side of the window would be slightly pushed out, and the "D" edge
then would get to touch the mating frame (it now stands 1/4" or so
away).

Alternately if the lateral edges can be bent inwards a bit this would
also get the Edge D closer. But I cannot think of an easy way of
bending these edges in a controlled manner, and without breaking the
glass...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

I had the same problem. Two days ago I took the junk windows out and
installed dual pane sliders. Much more energy efficient and it does
not take two people to open and shut the windows now.

I agree.

Nephew already got an estimate: $6000. Not bad, but he does not have
the money right now.

Deguza

It's a diy job, pretty simple actually and can be done for around
$100.00 to $200.00 per window.

First, measure the inside dimensions of the window (the metal frame
area). Take your measurments to HD or Lowes and order windows of your
choice.

Second, prep window for removal by placing window tape over glass.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/100_0837.jpg

Third, take a saws all and remove glass and interior metal bars.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/100_0844.jpg

Fourth, Clean any residual glass pieces from the metal frame and
insert new window in the metal frame of the old window.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/100_0845.jpg

Fith, secure window in frame with wood screws, go inside and seal gap
between wall and window with insulating foam, place strips over gap
and caulk. Go outside and caulk, done deal, enjoy new windows.

I did my entire house ( 10 windows) for $1200.00.