Lionel

Default Ryobi vs DeWalt cordless review

I have a Ryobi 18v drill that's at least five years old and the batteries
still hold a charge. It doesn't get used every day, but it's done it's
share. I guess they don't make 'em like they useta, or I'm the guy that got
the good one.

Lionel

"MSH" jjd@jaacom wrote in message ...
I recently bought the Ryobi 18v set at HD, torn between that and a DeWalt
set, I couldn't resist the price. I have used Dewalt cordless previously

and
was quite impressed with the versatility of the saws and long life of the
batteries.

Within a week I had a problem with the Ryobi charger, an HD employee was
kind enough to just slip me a new one.

The batteries were not lasting well at all, but that seemed to get better
with use. Never did hold a charge like the Dewalts tho.

The Ryobi saw is a 5", barely(just) big enough to cut a 2x4. Seems there

are
fewer blade choices so prices are higher than the 6 inchers.

Last week I took the drill to a jobsite where I was tightening up a

squeeky
subfloor. My drill, with a fresh battery would not countersink the 3 1/2"
screws. I borrowed another workers Dewalt 18v and it sucked those screws

in
without a problem, in fact it had enough torque to twist the screw bit to
bits, so to speak...Clearly, the Dewalt has more torque and *seemed* to be
smoother running.

OK, so I figure, I got what I paid for and could live with it.

Well...today,
one of the batteries is dead. Flat dead and when I put it in the charger,
the red light is dimm, flickers and goes out. Charges the other battery
fine. I had been considering buying the cordless vacuum to so I'd have 3
batteries but at this point, I think its time to cut my losses and just

buy
a set of Dewalt. Price may be attractive, but you still get what you pay
for. In this case, I think I just got a toy.

M Hamlin