Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default Gas Fired Clothes Dryer Question

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Family member has an older gas-fired clothes dryer.

Want to suggest to them that they put a vacuum hose in the duct's outlet (on
the outside of the house) to vacuum out any lint and dust. Have been
reading so much about clothes dryer duct fires !

I just use a brush to clear any lint from both ends of the ductwork,
then peek through the ducting to check for accumulated lint inside.
In my experience, most of the lint gets stuck at the exterior vent
opening, followed by the opening at the dryer itself. If it's a
smooth duct, there'll probably be very little lint collected on the
inside. If it's flexible ductwork, there could be an accumulation
inside the ductwork. If they have flex ducting, you could do them a
kindness by replacing it with smooth ducting. It's usually a fairly
fast and inexpensive job - unless they've got an unusually long or
elaborate ducting to the outside.

HellT