Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Fired Clothes Dryer Question

On Oct 9, 8:45�am, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Family member has an older gas-fired clothes dryer.

Want to suggest to them that they put a vacuum hose in the duct's outlet (on
the outside of the house) to vacuum out any lint and dust. �Have been
reading so much about clothes dryer duct fires !

Was wondering, though: �is there any possibility that by doing so they will
snuff out the gas pilot light
on the dryer ?

Frankly, I am not even sure there is a pilot, but knowing the age of the
thing, I doubt that it has a
piezo type of igniter, which, I believe, all the newer ones now have.

So, is there much of a possibility in putting out the pilot flame ?

Or, is it in a spot that it would not even "see" the vacuum or air stream ?

Would hate for it to happen, as they would probably have to have someone
come in to re light it for them, as they couldn't do it themselves.

Thanks,
Bob

I've never seen a piezoelectric igniter on a gas dryer.
I've installed a new gas water heater that was equipped
with piezoelectric igniter to light the standing pilot
so you don't have to open the combustion chamber to get
to it. The gas dryer probably has an electronic spark
igniter that includes a flame sensor. It would help to
know the brand and model number of the dryer.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

if the existing line is a flexible one, put in a vacuum hose the line
just collapses

your far better off to remove line atr dryer vacuum out what you can
then I use my shop vac as a blower. that sends a cloud of lint into
the yard, which means the line is nice and clean.

if the line is flexible dont accidently create a low dip in the line,
moisture condensates out, and blocks the exhaust./