Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Gas Fired Clothes Dryer Question

Hello,

Family member has an older gas-fired clothes dryer.

Want to suggest to them that they put a vacuum hose in the duct's outlet (on
the outside of the house) to vacuum out any lint and dust. Have been
reading so much about clothes dryer duct fires !

Was wondering, though: is there any possibility that by doing so they will
snuff out the gas pilot light
on the dryer ?

Frankly, I am not even sure there is a pilot, but knowing the age of the
thing, I doubt that it has a
piezo type of igniter, which, I believe, all the newer ones now have.

So, is there much of a possibility in putting out the pilot flame ?

Or, is it in a spot that it would not even "see" the vacuum or air stream ?

Would hate for it to happen, as they would probably have to have someone
come in to re light it for them, as they couldn't do it themselves.

Thanks,
Bob