Bob S.

Default Spraying Paint

Whoda thunk...me giving advice to a master craftsman.......;-)

I share your disdain for painting and I found it rather weird that the one
response (so far) states he had good results using a "regular" spray gun and
that you were having to thin the paint to much using HVLP. Something is
amiss here.

Last summer I had 40 cabinet doors to prime and paint and tried using a
regular spray gun (tried several nozzle sizes, etc.) and had very poor
results no matter what I tried (thinning, FlowTrol, etc.). Finally talked
to a pro painter and he said I need a HVLP spray outfit to get good results
with latex. Research on the web (AW and FWW sites as examples) showed he
was correct. I don't recall all the details but there are a number of
articles covering HVLP systems and how to use them.

Since I wasn't obligated to final finishing these doors (sister-in-law was),
I did the priming using the regular spray gun and the first finish coat
using a quality brush and FlowTrol. I must admit, that after sanding out
the primer and then applying the first coat of finish paint by brush to the
panels, it looked like it was sprayed on - thanks to the FlowTrol. Second
coat was done by others....(oh well...)

Tom, I would suspect there may be a problem with your system 'cause the
experts say HVLP is the only way to get latex paint down properly for a
"furniture grade" finish. Maybe the wrong nozzle, pressure setting,
cleaning......???

Bob S.