Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default HMRC - VAT Returns

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:29:50 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

From the 1st Oct 2008 the beggers have withdrawn the postage paid envelope
for sending back the return. I guess they want people to file on line and
jump through the hoops to get an government online ID, grrr...

I don't see a problem with filing online, you only need a username and
password, if you're VAT registered they already know who you are and
where you are.

On the other hand, I don't think I'm quite ready to set up a Direct
Debit so they can rake the money direct from the account.

You don't have to pay by DD if you are filing online. I simply set a
bank transfer up to pay on the 1st of the month that any VAT is due.
If I am in credit the payment goes into my bank pretty quickly too.

On the other hand you do lose a few days despite what they say because
they accept a cheque up to the deadline and then it still takes a few
days to clear whereas the transfer has to be set 3 or 4 days ahead of
the due date.

--
AnthonyL