Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Larry Jaques's color pick

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:27:17 -0500, the infamous "Lloyd E.
Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com scrawled the following:

Joe fired this volley in
:

I wonder what the stand is supposed to test, but the paint job does
look nice.

My main reason for replying, though, is: what is the "charcoal

pinhole
texture"? I like the effect, but haven't heard of that before.

Larry called it "trunk paint", but it isn't.

I thought it might be the light gray undercoat with flecks of multi-
colored paints dusted over it that was popular in automobile trunks
for eons.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/trunkfinish.aspx
or
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/auto...color-c20.html

I like it about as much (GAG!) as the gray epoxy with glitter they use
on garage floors. g

Your darker gray is much more attractive, believe me.

That slab of aluminum was a drop of unknown alloy. Whatever it was,
it must've had a good bit of silicon in it, and I didn't have any
proper primer. When I went to paint it (with hammertone black), I
must've stripped and re-painted it about five times, trying to
eliminate the fish-eyes.

Isn't that FUN?

Well... I didn't have any fish-eye medicine, and it's kind of hard to
add to a spray can, anyway. So I took the bad case, and deliberately
made it worse.

I lay a sheet of 600-grit silicon carbide paper on the surface, and
"pounced" it with a rubber mallet -- all over twice.

Then I brushed the surface lightly with a foxtail, and painted as
before. Now, instead of five or six fish-eyes, I got thousands of
tiny ones -- "pinholes". It looked good, so I left it that way.

That's a very unusual technique, Lloyd.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003