Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Outside fluorescent light

charlie wrote:
"Artful Dodger" wrote in message
I had a very good handyman replace the two bulbs in my outside
electric eye fixture. The
bulbs work, but they do not "obey" the sensor. Handyman covered the
eye properly to test, but the bulbs did not go out. He cleaned up
around the sensor. Still no luck.

Backstory: This light was installed quite a while ago. It worked
fine (on at night, off at dawn) for years. Then it began to act up.
The lights barely lit up. Just a very faint, dim glow. BUT the
sensor was working!

So why, with fresh new bulbs properly installed, does the sensor not
work?

Any advice appreciated.

bad sensor.

New electronic two wire sensor made for incandescent load
used to replaced old three wire thermal switch (or relay)
sensor that worked with any load. Add a 40w incandescent to
the fluorescents or find sensor not marked "for
incandescent(or resistive) load only".

-- larry /dallas