Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 4-wire feeder line vs. 3-wire feeder line

"scrapwood" wrote in message
I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

The task is adding a new sub-panel in an outbuilding. I understand that
new sub-panels now require a 4-wire feeder line, however this feeder will
be coming from the service disconnect. Specifically, it will be coming
from a small lug box on the side of the service disconnect; because this
is how the existing outbuildings are being fed.

So, my quesiton is: Is the fourth wire required in this situation, coming
off the disconnect. If it is required, what is it connected to??

Thanks in advance for any advice!
scrapwood.

I'm not completely sure I understand your situation, however, if this feeder
to the outbuilding is connected to the "load" side of the service
disconnect, it will require four wires for a 120/240 volt feeder. Two hot
legs, one neutral, and one ground. You may have to drive additional ground
rods at the outbuilding as well