Posted to alt.home.repair
Kompu Kid Kompu Kid is offline

Default Older metal windows won't close

On Oct 8, 8:23*am, old windows blow wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 07:33:33 -0700 (PDT), Kompu Kid

wrote:
Hello All:

Windows at my nephew's home won't close unless one pushes it with
substantial force from outside. I looked into it a bit. I first
thought it was paint buildup, but ruled this out after cleaning the
buildup did not help.

I have photos of the windows at:

http://cid-eb85de77506ba8ba.spaces.l...EB85DE77506BA8...

I think the windows are slightly warped over time --this is a 60-year-
old home. I am thinking that if he can replace the pins in hinges (one
of the hinges is marked with "B") with a smaller diameter one, the
"A" side of the window would be slightly pushed out, and the "D" edge
then would get to touch the mating frame (it now stands 1/4" or so
away).

Alternately if the lateral edges can be bent inwards a bit this would
also get the Edge D closer. But I cannot think of an easy way of
bending these edges in a controlled manner, and without breaking the
glass...

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

I had the same problem. Two days ago I took the junk windows out and
installed dual pane sliders. Much more energy efficient and it does
not take two people to open and shut the windows now.

I agree.

Nephew already got an estimate: $6000. Not bad, but he does not have
the money right now.

Deguza