Posted to alt.home.repair
jack[_8_] jack[_8_] is offline

Default winterizing my cottage's well...

I have owned a seasonal cottage in WNY for 10 years. The plumber who used
to winterize it for the previous owner showed me what to to, and I have been
doing it since.
In addition to the obvious, there is a valve in the ground a few feet from
the well that has to be opened to empty the underground pipes.

This year my pitless adaptor developed a leak. A contractor had to excavate
about 4 feet to get at it and replace it. The new one has a wire coming off
it to the surface. I "think" the wire is to release it so it can be pulled
up more easily.

Anyhow; I am wondering if this new adaptor needs anything else for wintering
than the old one did. I can't imagine why it would, but thought it prudent
to ask.

I can't really ask the contractor; he did it for me as a favor, and he just
had a personal tragedy. I don't really want to bother him with this
question.