Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22484 Ignoramus22484 is offline

Default Changing my principles

On 2008-10-08, SteveB toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

"Ignoramus13707" wrote

7. Do not have more than three projects going on at the same time

My wife is a fan of multitasking, and uses it as an indicator of the
female's superiority to males. My definition of multitasking is the ability
of doing more than one thing at one time, but none of them well.

I am somewhere in the middle between two of you.

With most projects (hobby or reali life etc) I have to be interrupted
and wait for something. For example I may order a part and wait for it
to arrive, or wait until a computer program compiles, etc.

So having something else to fill my time, is useful.

That's all good and well until there are "too many projects".

I learned in business that having more than three things going on at
one time was counter productive. Finish them so you can bill them.
It is also so with private projects. Finish the damn thing. No
sense applying 10% effort here and 5 % there and so on endlessly.

I agree.

I finished my project yesterday. A 13' 6" x 32' steel shade cover
for my back patio. Built out of Fabral purlins, 3 x 3 x .120"
square tubing posts, Fabral sheeting, and a few opaque plastic
panels. A professional job that cost about $1500 all together. I'm
sure glad it is done. Now, I can focus time and attention on some
other things. It went on for a long time for health reasons.

But I find it infinitely more satisfying to finish things than
having ten things going on at once and them all laying around in
various stages of incompletion, and rusting and generally going to
hell.

Well put.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/