Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing a hole in a pipe.

On Oct 8, 3:12*pm, Tim S wrote:
The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:
If I had a copper pipe with a hole in it - say a nail had been driven
through it - is it possible to repair this hole by heating the pipe
with a blow-torch and melting some plumbing solder into the hole?

(This hasn't actually happened btw - I'm just wondering how best to
ever deal with this eventuality!)

Thanks,
Mark.

I tried it once: it wasn't too successful. The solder needs to be fully
liquid to bind, and that *meant it tended to run away from the hole by
capillary action.

I suspect it could be done with plumbers metal - which is what they used to
make lead joints. It maintains a wide plastic zone and can be wiped
(moulded) into position and maintain bulk.

Of course, I doubt there's a lead free version for potable water pipes.

Tim

yes - but bear in mind those solder joints were very thick to get
sufficient strength.

NT