Posted to alt.home.repair
scrapwood scrapwood is offline

Default 4-wire feeder line vs. 3-wire feeder line

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

The task is adding a new sub-panel in an outbuilding. I understand that
new sub-panels now require a 4-wire feeder line, however this feeder will
be coming from the service disconnect. Specifically, it will be coming
from a small lug box on the side of the service disconnect; because this
is how the existing outbuildings are being fed.

So, my quesiton is: Is the fourth wire required in this situation, coming
off the disconnect. If it is required, what is it connected to??

Thanks in advance for any advice!
scrapwood.