Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Repairing BB Hole in Window

On Oct 7, 9:29*pm, Glen Moffitt wrote:
I have a double-pane window, downstairs on one end of the family room. *It's
not very visible, being under the rear deck. *Someone recently shot a small
hole, probably with a BB gun, which penetrated the outer pane. *I'm looking
for advice on how to seal that up. * I googled around, but surprisingly not
a lot there. *Lots of articles on repairing broken windows or holes in
screens, but not this. *Could not find anything on Amazon or on the sites of
Lowes or Home Depot. *Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Two approaches.

Replace the double-pane glass. If it's an Andersen they're readily
available and not too horrendously priced for a replacement part.

Low-tech, low-cost, under the deck not very visible repair - clear
plastic packing tape. It'll be clearer and less obtrusive than any
caulk or epoxy repair you can make and you'll have no trouble
controlling the depth of the repair. I'd first let the hole sit for a
while to make sure that any cracks won't propagate. Then I'd use some
silica gel packets (typically found in shoe boxes and electronics
packaging) to dry out the air inside the insulated glass unit. Dry
the packets in the oven at low temperature for a while, then put the
silica packet over the hole and tape plastic over the packet so it
will only absorb moisture from inside the hole. Let it sit for a
while, then replace the packet with a freshly dried one (quickly!).
It should only take a couple or three packets as they're can't be that
much moisture inside. Then remove the silica packet and quickly tape
over the hole. The edges of the tape are usually what's visible due
to handling and ragged edges from cutting it, so you could use an
razor knife to cut the tape edges off after it's been burnished down
on the glass (don't press too hard). A major benefit is that it's
easy to redo the poor-man's dessicant technique if moisture appears
between the panes during the winter.