Posted to alt.home.repair

Default McCoy Hardrware RipOff

On Oct 7, 12:44*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
Bob wrote:
If you live in a hurricane area, you should have that material in
the garage, ready for any storm. *IMO the people lined up buying
plywood last minute are idiots.

Kudos to Mr. McCoy.

Well, I generally agree with you except, one can assume if a
customer lives in a hurricane area, that the store employees likely
live there as well, so they should also have the material in their
garage ready for any storm. *So, if the customer is an idiot (in
your opinion), then the company employees are idiots as well.

Bob-tx

There is also the issue that the store owner should have been smart enough
to stash that plywood in the back so nobody had to tell paying customers
they couldn't have it. *Why irritate customers needlessly?

I guess because that's the level of incompetence you get any many
retail shops today. I bought a display model 52" Sony LCD TV at
Circuit City last week. The sales people told me they would have to
located the remote because they keep them all in the back, but would
have it ready when I picked up the TV the next day. (didn't have the
SUV). Then the sales guy tried to sell me the $125 monster HDMI
cables, by telling me that since the Sony has 120hz video display, I
need them. Of course HDMI is a digital transfer spec, independent of
the display processin freq. It's particularly funny because HDMI runs
at hundreds of Mhz, where he's crowing about 120hz, like it was some
awesome number. I got a nice 16ft one on Ebay for $10.

Next day, I return to pick it up. Different sales guys in the
afternoon. Now they tell me they don't have the remote, but will
give me a universal one or $20 credit and I can order an original one
online from remotes.com. So, I ask "And how much does it cost?"
The guy pulls it up on the remotes.com website and it's $60. Then,
looking at the pic it shows of the remote, he says, "Oh, I think I saw
that back there in the big box of stuff I was looking through."

Five mins later he's back, remote in hand. He says "Here it is. Is
it ok without the back cover for the batteries?" I look at it and it
has clear packing tape wrapped around the whole thing, including the
keys, to hold the batteries in. Now this is still a $2000 TV and I
don't think it's unreasonable to expect to get a decent original
remote. So, I ask him to give me $60 off to cover the remote and he
has to consult the manager.

While he's talking to the manager, I tell the manager that last night,
when I bought the TV, the salespeople assured me they had the remote
and would find it. He says to me "No one here would EVER say that to
a customer, unless they already had the remote in their hand." Then
he says, but I have no problem giving you the $60 credit.

So, this imbecile manager who should have some customer skills, can't
just say "Sir, no problem, I'll give you the $60 off, we want you to
be happy with your new TV. Instead, he has to call me a liar
first. Unbelievable.