Posted to alt.home.repair
rmorton[_2_] rmorton[_2_] is offline

Default Fiberglass Entry Door

Chris wrote:
rmorton wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 07 Oct 2008 03:32:20p, rmorton told us...

SWMBO has decreed that front door must be replaced with a fiberglass
one. After I don't know how many hours shopping for one she has
narrowed it down to 3 different brands and styles. Knowing
absolutely nothing about these doors and finding very little of any
use on the web except manufacturers/vendors ramblings and a few
bitter homeowners comments, I decided to place the question to you.
Are there any known problems or support issues with the following:
Pella, Therma-Tru or Benchmark by Thermatru? The price of all are
very similar and to my untrained eye the doors appear very similar.
I would appreciate any and all constructive comments.

You usually can't go wrong with Pella products. All things being
equal, I would check out and compare all the warranties.

Should have mentioned the warranties - all lifetime. Also should have
mentioned location - Eastern North Carolina.

My wife and I have been looking for an entry door also. We have decided
on the Pella. The warranty seems to be about the same as the others. The
one person that we talked to that has a Pella door, has not had any
problems with it.

Just as a side note we were shopping for a new storm door (went with a
Larson) for the back door when it was decided that we would be replacing
the front entry door also. I was so told. By the way we are in North
East N.C. and not to many places to buy doors here. Lowes and a few
other lumber companies.

Chris

The one warranty tidbit I managed to pick up is that Pella is the only
company to supposedly honor their warranty if a stormdoor is used over
it. Don't know for sure this may have just been salesman talk.