Posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.photography,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Whiskers Whiskers is offline

Default new hybrid batteries and overcharging

["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
On 2008-10-08, john d hamilton wrote:

[...]

The charger I have is an Energiser designed for Nickel Hydride batteries and
which indicates when a battery is fully charged, by the charging light going
off. But when putting in the Hybrid batteries the light does not go off.

Is there an harm done to these hybrid batteries if they are overcharged?

Uniross's European website makes no mention of "Hybrio" batteries, but the
US website does - describing them as NiMH type. That site also offers
suggested 'charge times' using a variety of (presumably Uniross-branded)
chargers. For AA size 2500mAh, the longest time (presumably using the
simplest charger) is 30 hours.

Maplin's web site is as un-informative as usual.

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/hybrio.htm say that these batteries "can
be recharged in /any/ NiMH battery charger".

I think that if your charger has an automatic cut-off calibrated for NiMH
cells, you should be safe enough - but don't leave batteries 'on charge'
indefinitely. There may be more information in the packaging of the
batteries you have, or in the packaging of chargers being sold for use with
such batteries.

--
-- Whiskers