Posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.photography,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
philo philo is offline

Default new hybrid batteries and overcharging

"john d hamilton" wrote in message
Have just bought the latest type of rechargeable *Hybrid* batteries from
Maplin, made by Uniross, called Hybrio. (also Argos are now selling them
made by Sanyo).

They are supposed to have the advantage over Nickel Metal Hydride in that
they don't have the 'memory effect'. Also the advantage of the Alkaline,

in
that they dont self discharge at quite a high rate when not being used.

The charger I have is an Energiser designed for Nickel Hydride batteries

and
which indicates when a battery is fully charged, by the charging light

going
off. But when putting in the Hybrid batteries the light does not go off.

Is there an harm done to these hybrid batteries if they are overcharged?

The biggest harm would be if they are getting hot,

Best to protect your investment and get the right charger...
if the charger you have does not turn off, I'm sure it will greatly shorten
the life of the batteries