Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Larry Jaques's color pick

Joe fired this volley in
:

I wonder what the stand is supposed to test, but the paint job does
look nice.

My main reason for replying, though, is: what is the "charcoal

pinhole
texture"? I like the effect, but haven't heard of that before.

Larry called it "trunk paint", but it isn't.

That slab of aluminum was a drop of unknown alloy. Whatever it was,
it must've had a good bit of silicon in it, and I didn't have any
proper primer. When I went to paint it (with hammertone black), I
must've stripped and re-painted it about five times, trying to
eliminate the fish-eyes.

Well... I didn't have any fish-eye medicine, and it's kind of hard to
add to a spray can, anyway. So I took the bad case, and deliberately
made it worse.

I lay a sheet of 600-grit silicon carbide paper on the surface, and
"pounced" it with a rubber mallet -- all over twice.

Then I brushed the surface lightly with a foxtail, and painted as
before. Now, instead of five or six fish-eyes, I got thousands of
tiny ones -- "pinholes". It looked good, so I left it that way.

LLoyd